Saturday, April 4, 2009

My New Passion

I know that I am a really big geek and this new passion only makes me more of a geek. For the past two and a half months I have become a "couponer/budget shopper." Couponer is not really a word but it works. Since the RS started the blog I have learned from all of the sites on there how to use coupons. I have been really happy with my results. I tracked things pretty closely last month and I have been saving $200 to $300 a month with my new way of shopping and using coupons. I am not only saving money but I have been stocking my food storage with a great three month storage. Not only have I been adding food to my food storage but I have been storing other household and personal hygiene items. I am showing one of my best shopping days so far. I am posting this so I can remember why I am putting the time into shopping this way.

Here is the run down. I got 2 boxes of Cheez-Its, Shout stain remover, Palmolive dish soap, 2 Quarto Razors, 2 packs of Huggies Diapers, 3 Soft Soap, Secret Deodorant, 1 box of Band Aids, 6 boxes of Kellogg's cereal, Reynolds Aluminum Foil, and Rhodes Rolls, not pictured. My total out of pocket was $20.71. If I would have paid full price for all of these items I would have paid $104.63. Now that is quite a savings. The deodorant and Rhodes Rolls were free with coupons. I do admit that I do have to spend a few hours a week shopping this way, but it is totally worth it. One day my goal is to budget only $50.00 a week for groceries. I still have a lot to learn but I will get there someday.

This past week we had an amazing Enrichment given by Pantry Secrets. We learned how to make bread in one hour from start to out of the oven. They also talked about food storage and shopping. It was awesome!! It turns out that it only costs .25 a loaf. No more store bought bread for me. One batch of bread makes four loaves, I finally have a great quick recipe to use that 1,200 pounds of wheat I have. I got a little carried away on the wheat. And the best part is my kids love the bread. I am putting some links on my side bar for my friends who have asked me for them. If any one has some great food storage, shopping or great wheat recipes please let me know. It is always more fun when we work together.

10 comments:

Liz said...

There is nothing 'geek' about that--that is FANTASTIC!!

I'm going to try even harder now!

Sam and Josh said...

You go girl. Fill me in on your secrets and I will tell you mine too.

Stacey said...

I am excited to try out your bread recipes. I love cooking bread from scratch. I don't do very often anymore unfortunately. There is a nice feeling knowing exactly what is in the food you are eating. I will try to get motivated from your example. I think that is neat as well on your couponing. I knew several people on mission who did that and saved a lot of money. I think that is really really neat.

Cha Cha said...

The only thing worse than being a coupon geek is being a coupon geek wannabe...like me! Ever since I heard about this, I've yearned to live in a state that offers such options. Very impressive!

Keri said...

After reading this post...
I want to be a member of the
"Coupon Geek Squad" for sure!
I will have to try this out.
I love to save money at the store.
Thanks for the great tips. Keri.

Allens Downunder said...

You really are a geek(I can say that because I'm your sister) but thats why I love you because you get so excited about whatever you do. I will become a coupon geek when we move back to the USA

Allens Downunder said...

Oh yeah I'm very excited to learn how to make the bread!!!

Christina Updike said...

OH I am so glad you posted this. Since Garrett will be graduating school next month, we are hoping to get our food storage going. I need to be a better coupon user. I am impressed to hear how much you saved! You have sold me on it! I especially love your info on homemade bread! Thanks!

Sullivan Family said...

I've been making bread with the Pantry Secrets recipe for about 6 months. I first started making white bread but then Mark's Doc said no more white bread. So I've been making wheat bread and I love added other grains like pearl barley and sunflower seeds. It's so yummy and very inexpensive. I did have to buy a Bosch with the grinder attachment. Oh so worth it! Tell me about your bread successes!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this couponing thing exciting! I've started into it as well. i devote way too much time still but I'm sure as I get more familiar it won't be such a time sink. I really frustrated the people behind me at the grocery store today...me and my coupons...and making sure I'm getting the prices posted in the weekly ad. the whole experience almost made them never want to shop at the store again (after 15 years). Oh, dear! I guess I still have alot to learn.